Top 5 awesome things I did today:
I got to see Portland for the first time in the light. It seemed really beautiful when we drove to our hotel last night – winding back and forth over the river on the highway made me feel vaguely like I was back in Istanbul – but the downtown area was definitely more delightful this morning. When I have more personal time I’d love to come back here and explore.
- I went into a frozen yogurt shop. The guy behind the counter asked: “How did work go today?” I answered: “Really well. I’m actually here on business.” Badass. This means I am officially an adult.
- I’m staying in a super swank hotel and loving every minute of it. I was told traveling for business isn’t normally this nice, so I’m really trying to appreciate my fancy room while I have it. Every time we enter the hotel, the doors are opened for us by the doormen. New mission: get the slub house a doorman.
- I talked about my future and networked with a local Financial Representative. Further proof that I am officially an adult. Cross your fingers that this particular networking effort pays off…
- I wandered around the largest independent used and new book store in the world. It’s called Powell’s Books. According to their website,
- The building covers 68,000 ft2
- 3,000 used books are bought over the counter each day
- 3,000 customers walk in to the store and purchase something each day
- 3,000 people walk in to the store simply to browse and drink coffee
- There are 122 major subject areas and 3,500 subsections to shift through
- The store has over 1,000,000 volumes on its shelves
You guys. This place was seriously epic. They had room after room and floor after floor of shelf after shelf of books. There were a ton of people just sitting around and reading for fun. It was the definition of yuppie, but I could see myself walking in to the store, grabbing some coffee and a good book, and nerding out. Next time…